- Now you can locate old, parked or museum-piece locomotives in the historic places map if they have been tagged and mapped appropriately in OSM.
- User baditaflorin created a cheat sheet with the most important shortcuts for JOSM that would make editing with JOSM more efficient.
- Felix Delattre wants to map the 42 bus routes in Managua and Ciudad Sandino (Nicaragua) in OSM and asks for help.
- Marc Zoutendijk points out that there are numeours examples of meaningless values in the « source » tag on OSM. In his series on seldom used tag values he provides some amusing examples but concludes that the errors are mainly harmless as they are a minority and seldom used.
- Matthijs Melissen proposes the tag aquatics_centre. He also proposes to discourage the use of amenity=swimming_pool tag instead use leisure=swimming_pool.
- User JinalFoflia from Bangalore proposes a re-tagging of 0.12% picnic_sites. A lot of incumbents are answering. 😉
She has re-tagged the picnic sites with
tourism=picnic_sitetag, the changesets related to this can be found in this diary entry.
- Discussion about Nominatim and its surprising search results continues.
- OSM user nesim shared the names of the most active contributors who have contributed to the data for Turkey (katpatuka, nesim, ayhanozates, penom and Ghybu) in the Community’s Facebook Group.
- Richard Cantwell states that OSM is going great in Ireland. His PDF article in Geoconnexion suggests that OSM « has become a shining example of how crowdsourcing can work ».
- The board of the OSMF on request from the Data Working Group have indefinitely banned a user who threatened another mapper. Appeals against this decisions will only be considered after police and legal investigations are completed.
- Tom Taylor (active HOTtie) passed away on December 24th.
- BushmanK in his dairy asks what comes first, Map or Database? His post also asks should we tell newbies the truth?, but the principles he discusses extend beyond « newbies » to how OSM in general is explained.
- OSMF Board Minutes of 2015-12-12
- Drishtie Patel looks back at the success stories of the Missing Maps project in 2015.
- User derStefan announced a new version of OpenTopoMap 2.0. (automatic translation)
- Muindialis have described how they created a multi-scale topographic map of the world with an OSM main features overlay. A demonstration of the client application can be viewed here.
- Markus Mayr answers the question: Why tree imports? To produce beautiful maps.
- An Interview, with Raphael Reimann one of the creators of « Roads to Rome ».
-  Nils Westergard has combined parts of the city of Stadt Amsterdam along with the skeleton of a leaf. He spent about 100 hours on this artwork. Other works of Nils Westergard.
- In Austria, OSM based maps with the current traffic situation are online. The Austrian public radio station ORF reported. (automatic translation).
- Summary of all GraphHopper related activities for the year 2015.
- The new OpenRouteService is now with new features like live traffic data, improved route profiles, new Leaflet client and more!
Software Version Release Date Comment Maps.me 5.3 2015-12-21 Fixed zoom buttons bug Locus Map Free 3.14.1 2015-12-22 Bug fixes OSRM Backend 4.9.0 2015-12-24 API changes, bug fixes, maintenance, new features Osmose Backend 1.0-2015-12-27 2015-12-27
Did you know …
- … Framasoft, a French association promotes FOSS since 2011. Lately Framasoft is hosting a version of uMap under the name Framacarte
- … the place where you can find all minutes of OSMF and OSMF workgroups?
- … the world’s Largest Cylindrical Map of the World? See a video as well.
Other “geo” things
- Arzu Coltekin recalled that the first website, which went online was already adorned with a map.
- Mapzen has a Christmas present for all the users who have asked for a batch geocoder 😉
- Calling all couch-mappers at the end of the year: Please click once, sit back and enjoy the world that you have mapped just over and over again with the finest details.
- Humitos and Ella Quimica have mapped a restaurant on the Peruvian coast, shared the knowledge about OpenStreetMap, programming with the owner and were rewarded with a complimentary ceviche dish. weeklyOSM wonders whether this activity falls into the category of « paid mapping » 😉
- Tools for getting data out of OpenStreetMap and into Desktop GIS.
- Toyota wants to make Google’s mapping tech obsolete
|#geowebchat twitter chat web mapping predictions for 2016, 20:00 UTC||01/05/2016||World|
|London||London missing maps event||01/05/2016||UK|
|Münster||Stammtisch / OSM Treffen||01/05/2016||Germany|
|Vienna||54. Wiener Stammtisch||01/07/2016||Austria|
|Lyon||Rencontre mensuelle mappeurs||01/12/2016||France|
|Osnabrück||Stammtisch / OSM Treffen||01/18/2016||Germany|
This weekly was produced by Alexandre Magno, Rogehm, SB79, Bogus, Manfred, escada, jinalfoflia, mgehling, stephan75, wambacher.