- The weeklyOSM team would like to express our sincere gratitude to the entire OpenStreetMap community and to all of weeklyOSM’s readers. Your dedication and hard work have made a significant impact on the world of map making and have contributed to the growth and success of OpenStreetMap. The weeklyOSM team wish you all the best for the new year and hope it will be filled with new opportunities and continued growth for the OpenStreetMap community. May you all have a happy and prosperous new year!
- Florian Lohoff has started a series on ‘Geometry Mapping Antipatterns’:
- InfosReseaux blogged a call for mapping hydropower infrastructure. It’s not only about dams and powerhouses, but also about waterways. The OSM tagging model has been continuously developing to describe this.
- Over the past year, a group of four mappers has added ► the origin of the names of over 1000 streets in Moers to OSM. The results can be seen on the Open Etymology Map.
- OpenStreetMap Indonesia launched a GLAM (galleries, libraries, archives & museums) themed mapathon from 20 to 25 December 2022.
- Legitimater enjoys mapping trees and by this making the map become greener. He invited mappers to join in and use the hashtag
- Mapstodon.space is another meeting place for cartography and geospatial professionals and enthusiasts on Mastodon.
- Pieter Vander Vennet tooted that his work for MapComplete is being funded by nlnet.nl.
-  ‘The people from RadEntscheid_Essen ► have refreshed the #OpenStreetMap data in their #OpenBikeSensor portal’, toots macronom.
- Eugene Alvin Villar has created a small quiz with respect to OSM communities. Do you know where these three OSM URLs point to?
- Topi Tyukanov has compiled the most liked tweets of the 30DayMapChallenge 2022 into one page.
- Andrii Holovin wrote a two-part blog post (part1, part 2) on his thoughts about Overture and the future of OSM.
- Paul Norman let us know that the API database servers will be unavailable on Sunday 22 January 2023 between 10:00 and 15:00 UTC due to maintenance. Map editing (using iD, JOSM, etc), and replication updates will be paused during that period. Login to services that require osm.org authentication may be also unavailable.
- Max Bo examined the proximity of the City of Sydney’s QMS billboards (we reported earlier) to Telstra public telephones using OSM data for an article they wrote.
- The December update of Organic Maps has been released. As usual the maps have been updated and the routing and translations improved. Also KML tracks are handled better now.
Did you know …
- … mastodon near me? These are the Mastodon instances with a local connection that may or may not have room for newbies.
If you like to see your event here, please put it into the OSM calendar. Only data which is there, will appear in weeklyOSM.