- Dear reader, you might noticed that this issue was published very late. WeeklyOSM is normally published after being proofread twice. This issue had been proofread only once. If you are not satisfied with the English texts, grammar, wording, or anything else, please feel to join us and help us to publish the next issue. The next issue will only be published if it gets proofread twice. Get in touch with us or ping us on twitter.
- On Osmtalk there is a discussion about the tag in
- Andy Mabbett suggests a few ideas for quarterly projects on the Talk-GB mailing list. The polls on proposals
oven=*are open until December 20th.
- Alejandro Suárez wonders about the different definitions of the tag
amenity=barin the Mediterranean and the rest of the world, which probably comes from another semantic information of “bar” in Spanish and he would like to harmonise this in the wiki.
- LeTopographeFou establishes, that the original intended tag
shop=estate_agentis ignored, and the tag
office=estate_agentis used instead.
- User daniel-j-h writes a diary about the anomalies that the OSRM users report and the impact of
oneway=reversibletag on the routing engine. He also introduces the
oneway=alternatingtag and it’s usage in OpenStreetMap.
- Manoharuss publishes his MAPS.ME edits analyses for November.
- As part of the OSM women’s initiative against the gender gap in the past OSM latam there is a new group now on telegram. If you are a woman and interested, join!
- Who says that people don’t comment to changeset discussions on very old changesets?
- @mapeadora writes about the construction of OSM woman group on Latin America, and how to make a community.
- OSM is proposed as a method and database for the inventory of trees in Colombia in the urban areas of the nation.
- Presentation on the OGP by @mapanauta on how open data/open mapping can make a difference for social impact & humanitarian purposes. OGP is overseen at the international level by a Steering Committee composed of representatives of governments and civil society organizations in equal numbers. It brings together governments and civil society organizations as true partners at both the national and international level.
- On December 9th, the Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski visited the Mapbox team, in Ayacucho, Peru, where he learned about the company and worked on his first OpenStreetMap edit, contributing to the largest open geographic database in the world. Alex Barth asks if the president is the first head of state on OSM?
- The OSM Foundation chairperson’s report for the 2016 Annual General Meeting has been published.
- The OSM Foundation Treasurer’s Report for the 2016 Annual General Meeting has been published. The meeting occurred last Saturday, December 10th.
- The SoTM 2017 will take place in Aizuwakamatsu, Japan from 18th to 20th of August.
- HOT explained details and procedures of their “Microgrant Program” for 2017. The sum donated so far, however, is limited.
- DutchNews.nl writes about the dedication of Paul Uithol from HOT and a team of volunteers who have been using online maps to help rebuild devastated communities since Hurricane Matthew swept through Haiti last month.
- Christoph Hormann publishes his reduced waterbody data (we reported earlier) on openstreetmapdata.
- OpenAddresses has passed the 300 million address milestone.
- User PlaneMad thinks that MapMyIndia, a commercial aggregator, is using OSM data and shows an example of an area he personally mapped.
- Dave F. writes to the talk mailing list expressing his unhappiness about automatically generated notes from Maps.me.
- Chris Hill wrote a Leaflet plugin that adds a hash to the URL, denoting which baselayer and overlays are currently selected.
|Mapillary Android *||3.10||2016-12-06||Upload stability features.|
|Naviki Android *||3.52.2||2016-12-07||Some bug fixes.|
|Komoot Android *||var||2016-12-08||Minor enhancements.|
|Mapillary iOS *||4.5.9||2016-12-08||Added time based capture, compass tweaks.|
|Magic Earth *||188.8.131.52||2016-12-09||No info.|
|BRouter||1.4.8||2016-12-10||Added turn restrictions and some fixes.|
|OpenLayers||3.20.0||2016-12-10||This release includes enhancements and fixes from 89 pull requests since the previous release.|
|Traccar Server||3.9||2016-12-10||No Info.|
Provided by the OSM Software Watchlist.
(*) unfree software. See: freesoftware.
Did you know …
- …the first node translated into the language Atikamekw?
- … the service MapContrib of Guillaume AMAT? User escada presented it on the basis of a map with dog parks a few months ago.
OSM in the media
- The newspaper La Croix published (automatic translation) an article about a contributor, Fabrice Ramamonjy who improves the data of Antananarivo with his community of students. Their university supports (automatic translation) the initiative.
Other “geo” things
- An impressive interactive map visualizes the population density of English cities. John Elledge shows some examples on CityMetric.
- The detailed replica of the world famous “Lascaux” cave, a Unesco World Heritage Site, was opened by French President Hollande, is now open to visitors.
- The change of name from Open Street View to OpenStreetCam is complemented by the new version.
- Sightline reports on structural changes in the use of living space in Seattle.
- Ivory Coast adds the 3-word global addressing system offered by the British startup What3Words to their own insufficient system of postal addresses. What3Words assigns an arbitrary three-word-code to any 3×3-metres square of the Earth surface. Critics consider it a bad idea to make a postal system dependent on a commercial company’s licensing system.
|Berlin||DB Open Data Hackathon||12/16/2016-12/17/2016|
|Alpi Apuane||2016 Mapping party Rifugio Nello Conti||12/17/2016-12/18/2016||Toscana|
|Manila||?MapAm?re?OSM Workshop Series 5/8, San Juan||12/19/2016|
|Taipei||Taipei Meetup, Mozilla Community Space||12/19/2016|
|Valencia||Missing Maps Valencia 1||12/20/2016|
|Lyon||Missing Maps Lyon||12/20/2016|
Note: If you like to see your event here, please put it into the calendar. Only data which is there, will appear in weeklyOSM. Please check your event in our public calendar preview and correct it, where appropiate..
This weeklyOSM was produced by Hakuch, Laura Barroso, Peda, Rogehm, Spec80, TheFive, YoViajo, derFred, jinalfoflia.