- Osmose was released in mid-December for Australia. Andrew Davidson notes that the most common mistake is « approximate waterway ».
- Hakuch proposes to remove the tagging of name_1 and alt_name_1 from the wiki.
- The Belgian-Dutch border might change this year. There is already a discussion on this change in this note.
- Take part in the MapRoulette Challenge which is about checking if there’s a pedestrian street crossing (crosswalk) or not. This verification goes on until it’s all done.
- This site evaluates the number of POI’s for a given city.
- Votings on proposals:
topic link end date
- Bruno Veyckemans proposes to start Quarterly projects in Belgium.
- Miguel Garcia from the Spanish blog Culturatorium, which deals with art, technology and culture in general, has portrayed Manuel Torío and his activities in OSM.
- OpenCageData interviews Kokou Elolo Amegayibo (and others) about OpenStreetMap in Togo (West Africa)
- Paul Norman identified the total number of currently active Mappers from 2007 to the end of 2015 and displays these as a graphic in his blog. One can clearly see a constant increase with seaonal fluctuations.
- Andy Allan shares his thoughts about OpenStreetMap as a global infrastructure in the Gravitystorm blog.
- As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. A video however is much better than a picture! OpenStreetMap in 3D Video!
- Richard Fairhurst proposes to close the newbies mailing list, on which in the last three months nothing was posted.
- Steve Coast resigned from his position as honorary Chairman of the OSMF.
- The call for locations for State of the Map US 2016 is open.
- Santiago La Rotte published in the Colombian magazine « El Espectador » an article entitled « Discover what digital maps can serve. »He describes the situation after the avalanche of Salgar of 18 May 2015. (automatic translation)
- Nice Video about how to host an OSM mapathon available also in the HOTOSM channel.
- The OpenRailwayMap Blog reports that Austrian main semaphore signals and speed light signals have been rendered for a few weeks.
- The developer of Luna Render (announced in one of the recent weeklyOSM reports) now presented a map style related to old Soviet military maps.
- You can’t be everybody’s darling. Nevertheless Google tries it with GoogleMaps, if it comes to China.
- Carnaval is very important in Germany, especially in Cologne. The city of Cologne published a special/temporary map for the so called 5th season. 😉
- On the OSM wiki: A collection of Dutch applications with OSM data or maps.
- Thanks to OpenStreetMap and beautiful Overpass API you now can get all information for a particular point with the brand-new QGIS plugin. OSMInfo shows information about objects from OpenStreetMap using Overpass API.
- Vectiler is a OSM vector tile obj builder and exporter with ambiant occlusion baking
Software Version Release Date Comment Mapillary for Android 1.70 2015-12-18 Bug fixes Locus Map Free 3.14.2 2016-01-05 Minor extensions iD 1.8.4 2016-01-06 20+ enhancements and new presets PostGIS 2.2.1 2016-01-06 Focus is on bugs, breakages, and performance issues. Esp. Topology SQLite 3.10.0 2016-01-06 Enhancements and performance optimizations JOSM 9329 2016-01-07 Improvements to partial fill areas, corrections in presets and others Mapillary for iOs 4.1.2 2016-01-07 Bug fixes PostgreSQL 9.5.0 2016-01-07 UPSERT, Row Level Security, Big Data Features
- Michael Markieta describes in Cartograhic Perspectives how to install PostGIS and QGIS and OSM data can be used on the Mac.
- Dgoodayle published screenshots of his Unity3d test code. He generated from OpenStreetMap data City models to render in real time, which he wants to use for a game development.
Did you know …
-  … geo.javawa.nl on-line tools for measurements on maps?
- … JaVaWa GPS tools – many other useful tools?
- … Map.meurisse for measuring lengths of paths.
- … OSM in the social news aggregator reddit.
Other “geo” things
- 27 hilariously bad maps that explain nothing.
- Google maps is forcing routebuilder to shutdown, or not?
- Aric Toler has published a guide about the secrets of geolocation.
- Plans for the geoscience revolution: Rob Rose, the new director of William & Mary’s Center for Geospatial Analysis, talks about his plans to increase the scope of GIS skills and concepts throughout the university.
- Unhappy new year for Coca-Cola as it upsets first Russia, then Ukraine.
|London||London pub meet-up||12/01/2016||UK|
|Lyon||Rencontre mensuelle mappeurs||12/01/2016||France|
|Grenoble||Rencontre mensuelle mappeurs||14/01/2016||France|
|Serata OpenStreetMap A Pergine Valsugana||15/01/2016||Italy|
|Mapping Party palazzi dell’antico distretto minerario a Pergine Valsugana||16/01/2016||Italy|
|Seattle||Missing Maps Mapathon||17/01/2016||US|
|Gent||Missing Maps Mapathon||23/01/2016||Belgium|
|Manila||OSM Mapathon by #MapPHL||23/01/2016||Philippines|
|Brussels||FOSDEM Conference, Brussels||30/01/2016-31/01/2016||Belgium|
This weekly was produced by Nakaner, Rogehm, bogzab, derFred, escada, jinalfoflia, mgehling, stephan75, wambacher.