- Colin Blackburn tweets applauds the mapper who mapped,in great detail, the „Great Polish Map of Scotland”, a 200 m² model of Scotland.
- In the near future the Vespucci editor will feature convenient layer management.
- The blocking of Telegram by Russian authorities affected Amazon Cloud among others and therefore JOSM, as some of the rendering styles are hosted on GitHub, which uses Amazon Cloud too.
- Yuri Astrakhan proposes on the Tagging mailing list to use relations to map language regions.
- The tagging mailing list examines the appropriate tagging and naming of traffic training areas for children, focused on traffic rules for pedestrians and cyclists.
- The organised mappers group, who previously made bad quality edits to streets in India, still didn’t answer to comments to their changesets, and has now moved its focus on US
highway=serviceadditions. Further user accounts have been blocked and changesets were reverted. This was followed by a discussion on the talk-us mailing-list where some American mappers disagree with the reverts.
- On his homepage, Pascal Neis provides a detailed overview of changeset discussions.
- bhousel suggests, on github, the introduction of two additional user roles (director/directee) for organized mapping on OpenStreetMap, Such roles may require additional classes of rights.
- felskia reports her work at Development Seed, conducting user interviews to discover the requirements of different groups for collaboration in OpenStreetMap. The overall aim is to guide the selection of targeted improvements to the ecosystem.
- The sixth SotM France will take place in Bordeaux from 1st – 3rd June. The organizers are delighted to share that participants will be greeted by OSM maps displayed on every public transport stop in the city.
- Registrations for SotM France (June 1st-3rd, 2018) in Bordeaux are open.
- The Linuxtage at the FH Technikum Wien will take place from 3rd to 5th May 2018. OpenStreetMap Austria will be represented with a booth. The general meeting of the Austrian OSM-booster society will take place on 4th May.
- The OSM Spring Hackathon will take place from May 21st and 22nd in Washington DC at the Mapbox premises.
- On the 19th May, OpenStreetMap UK 2018 Annual General Meeting will be held in Manchester. The afternoon will consist of the 1st Annual General Meeting of OSM UK CIC, followed by workshops and mapping by community members from across the country. All are welcome to attend. Before the lunch the AGM will include elections and then attendance is limited to paid-up members.
- The State of the Map 2018 in Milan is hosting a poster competition. Submit your posters by 30th June.
- HOT OSM 2018 microgrants were awarded to eight OSM communities, including OSM Benin and Sri Lanka.
- Openstreetmap and TheMissingMaps tweet about the 30 million buildings mapped by MissingMaps volunteers.
- Bike Ottawa (Canada), has created a Traffic Stress map based on OSM. Every segment of street and path in Ottawa, has a calculated „Level of Traffic Stress” (LTS) rating from 1-4, based on the Mineta Institute formula. A few substitutions are also made to account for what data is actually available. For those not familiar with editing OSM, the map provides a feedback option.
- imagico.de remembers the tenth anniversary of the first publication of the Landsat pictures by the USGS (U.S. Geological Survey).
- Klokan Technologies mentions in a blog entry how they generate their OpenMapTiles on a cluster of 32 cloud servers in parallel.
- Heidelberg Institute for Geoinformation Technology has published an R package to use the Openrouteservice API.
- The team of OSM-Carto has released a new version of the map style (v4.10.0). See all new objects in kocio’s diary.
Other “geo” things
- CNBC reports about the fight of Google and its unpaid volunteers against spammers on Google Maps.
- The king of Swaziland, Mswati III announced the renaming of the country to eSwatini. The occasion is the 50th anniversary of independence from Great Britain.
- Mapbox announced that Andrew Chen,formerly at Google Maps, has joined as Head of Product for Maps and Search
- The Leibniz Institute for Regional Geography e.V. presents its historical map collection of the Central Geographical Library under the CC0 license online.
- Many of navigation apps by Navigon (acquired by Garmin a few years ago) will no longer be available for download starting in May. Most of them can still be used to a certain extent.
- Google is testing Landmark-based Navigation. OSM supports this already for a while via Openrouteservice, currently only for pedestrian navigation in Germany.
- There is an article on xyHt published about how different OpenStreetMap tiles can easily be integrated into QGIS 3.0.
|Bochum||OSM Einführungsworkshop für Anfänger mit praktischer Umsetzung||2018-04-28|
|Montreal||Les Mercredis cartographie||2018-05-02|
|Urspring||Stammtisch Ulmer Alb||2018-05-03|
|Grenoble||Missing Maps mapathon||2018-05-03|
|Arlon||Réunion au Pays d’Arlon||2018-05-08|
|deutscher Mumble-Server||öffentliche Vorstandssitzung FOSSGIS e.V.||2018-05-09|
|Berlin||119. Berlin-Brandenburg Stammtisch||2018-05-10|
|Shiki||東京！街歩き！マッピングパーティ：第19回 出張編 小江戸と浅草の中継点「志木」||2018-05-12|
|Davao City||[Free & Open Mapping Workshop] at Ateneo de Davao University||2018-05-12|
|Cologne Bonn Airport||Bonner Stammtisch||2018-05-15|
|Lyon||Rencontre mensuelle pour tous||2018-05-15|
|Disneyland Paris Marne/Chessy Railway Station||FOSS4G-fr 2018||2018-05-15-2018-05-17|
|São Paulo||Painel OpenStreetMap no MundoGEO Connect||2018-05-16|
|Mumble Creek||OpenStreetMap Foundation public board meeting||2018-05-17|
|Bordeaux||State of the Map France 2018||2018-06-01-2018-06-03|
|Milan||State of the Map 2018 (international conference)||2018-07-28-2018-07-30|
|Dar es Salaam||FOSS4G & HOT Summit 2018||2018-08-29-2018-08-31|
|Bengaluru||State of the Map Asia 2018 (effective date to confirm)||2018-11-17-2018-11-18|
Note: If you like to see your event here, please put it into the calendar. Only data which is there, will appear in weeklyOSM. Please check your event in our public calendar preview and correct it, where appropriate.