- There is a discussion on Reddit about the level of detail in OSM, using a UK maze as a starting point.
- The proposal for tagging bus bays is accepted.
- Paul Johnson wants to propose a better way to map traffic control (stop and yield) and traffic calming devices, by using relations to overcome the „non-directional” nature of nodes.
- Thilo Haug created a new wiki page for
aeroway=spaceport. He is facing criticism because this tagging is not generally accepted. Frederik Ramm notes that tag discussions should take place in the tagging mailing list and not in the wiki itself.
- Mattias Dalkvist proposed the tag
meadow=wooded_meadowand invites comments.
- Michael Tsang suggests a new tag to mark areas where public transport has no regular stops but can be asked to stop by waving.
- Manohar writes about the Pokémon related mapping activity on OpenStreetMap, also discussing some features that are mapped specifically for Pokémon „biomes”.
- Old-style multipolygon relations on OSM are now history. (via twitter)
- On the OpenCage Data blog, an interview with Mohamed Marrouchi, from Tunisia, was published.
- OSM-Belgium declared Ben Abelshausen as mapper of the month for April 2017.
- The call for proposals for the FOSS4G+SOTM Argentina is open until July 31st 2017. The event will take place from October 23rd to the 28th 2017, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- At Oxford University, a temporary position for a „Researcher in Digital Geography” is vacant. Application deadline is June 15, 2017.
- Continuing the work of the Humanitarian Mapping Unit (UHM) in the first emergency days in the city of Mocoa, the OpenStreetMap Colombia Foundation will conduct a workshop to provide information about activities in case of emergencies. The workshop (automatic translation) is aimed to assess the information and communication needs of participants in the stage of reconstruction after the event and to provide practical tools that may be useful in this respect.
- Pascal Neis’s change of his extremely useful HDYC site to use OAuth, based on an OpenStreetMap account created a certain amount of surprise. Previously there had been a long discussion about „data security” on the German Forum (automatic translation) (it’s a long but worthy read) and on the mailing list Talk-de (automatic translation). The conversation on talk did move towards a useful sort of discussion about „what OSM data is all about anyway„.
- Stefan Keller of Hochschule Rapperswil addresses managers and marketers of the tourism industry, with a remarkable initiative for OpenStreetMap. (automatic translation) He will be presenting the possibilities of using OpenStreetMap at the „Swiss holiday day 2017” in Davos to the tourism industry. In doing so, he shares two video clips, a poster, and highlights the opportunity to participate in OpenStreetMap directly, as well as through MAPS.ME.
- Data Working Group (DWG) published its Activity Report for the first quarter of 2017, outlining the details of the cases handled by them.
- OSMF is looking for a UK accountant.
- Dieterdreist publishes a map of all regular OSMF members. Have you thought about becoming a member?
- Call for scholarship applications to attend State of the Map Asia 2017 in Kathmandu, Nepal, on September 23rd to 24th 2017 is now open.
- Registration for State of the Map 2017 is now open. Register now for the early bird discount.
- DINAcon 2017 (automatic translation) is a conference on digital sustainability. The call for proposals is open (automatic translation) until May 20th 2017.
- SotM-FR in Avignon published their program schedule. You can still register. Most sessions however will be in French, of course.
- HOT outlines its mapping efforts in the refugee establishments of Uganda and invites interested agencies to collaborate with them.
-  Bruno Salerno published recently Citylines.co, which is a collaborative platform that helps rebuild transport systems in the cities of the world as well as their evolution. Citylines is free software and uses OSM maps and Mapbox GL technology.
- Adrien-github reported on linuxfr.org, that marble, the virtual globe, has integrated the French rendering of OSM .
- The EuroVelo 13, also known as the Iron Curtain Trail, is a cycle path over 7500 km from the Barents Sea to the Black Sea. An official app has been released for the trail, which includes an OSM based interactive map.
- Patryk Adaś achieved a remarkable result with Mapbox API and the OrientationEvents of Joshua Tucker.
- Giacomo Serva is one of the 5 students who were accepted by Google for GSoC 2017. He will continue the work on the JOSM PT_Assistant plugin.
|JOSM||12039||2017-05-02||See release infos.|
|Mapbox GL JS||v0.37.0||2017-05-02||Three new features, eight bugs fixed and two development workflow improvements.|
|Mapillary iOS *||4.6.14||2017-05-02||Three bugs fixed, updated Mapbox.|
|libosmium||2.12.2||2017-05-03||Many changes, please read release info.|
|OpenLayers||4.1.1||2017-05-03||Patch release to fix several minor issues and two regressions in the 4.1.0 release.|
|Simple GIS Client *||9.0||2017-05-03||Processing OpenStreetMap data.|
|OSMaxx||3.10.0||2017-05-04||Please read release info.|
|PyOsmium||2.12.4||2017-05-04||Added Windows support, three changes and three bugfixes.|
|MapFactor Navigator Free *||3.0||2017-05-05||Many extensions and fixes, see release info.|
|Mapillary Android *||3.55||2017-05-05||Support different basemaps.|
|Naviki Android *||3.58.4||2017-05-05||Bugfix version.|
|Naviki iOS *||3.58.1||2017-05-05||Bugfix version.|
|StreetComplete||0.10||2017-05-06||Fix for opening_hours.|
|Kurviger Free *||10.0.23||2017-05-07||Smooth movement option, various enhancements.|
|Komoot Android *||var||2017-05-08||No Infos.|
Provided by the OSM Software Watchlist. Timestamp: 2017-05-08 20:24:45+02 UTC
(*) unfree software. See: freesoftware.
Did you know …
- … MapHub, which works like uMap?
- … osm.wikidata.link?
- … the slides of the talk by Stefan Keller on the topic: „OpenStreetMap for web maps – OpenStreetMap – the underestimated resource?” (automatic translation)
- … Trending places? Daily reports on Twitter and is of course OSS.
OSM in the media
- Linux Journal presents a short introduction of editing OSM using JOSM.
- Technical.ly published an article on the fight against malaria in Zimbabwe by Missing Maps and partners.
- Techcrunch reports about Mapillary releasing a free dataset of 25,000 street-level images from 190 countries that can be used to train automotive AI systems.
Other “geo” things
- World’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge was opened in the Harz Mountains in Germany on Sunday, but in OSM there is still some work to do. At the nearby Geierlay bridge in Hunsrück, the mapping is exemplary.
- Mapbox released Mapbox Studio Preview, which is a companion app to Mapbox Studio. It allows one to view any map style directly from the mobile device and help one design the right map for iOS applications.
- Bruno Sánchez-A Nuño, you’re dead right! 😉
- Uluman published a very nice animation of the South American drainage pattern. (via twitter)
|Tirana||OSCAL (Open Source Conference Albania)||13/05/2017-14/05/2017|
|Grenoble||Rencontre groupe local||15/05/2017|
|Viersen||OSM Stammtisch Viersen||16/05/2017|
|Amstetten||Stammtisch Ulmer Alb||18/05/2017|
|Derby||Derby Pub Meetup||23/05/2017|
|Vancouver||Vancouver mappy hour||26/05/2017|
|Avignon||State of the Map France 2017||02/06/2017-04/06/2017|
|Kampala||State of the Map Africa 2017||08/07/2017-10/07/2017|
|Champs-sur-Marne (Marne-la-Vallée)||FOSS4G Europe 2017 at ENSG Cité Descartes||18/07/2017-22/07/2017|
|Aizu-wakamatsu Shi||State of the Map 2017||18/08/2017-20/08/2017|
|Patan||State of the Map Asia 2017||23/09/2017-24/09/2017|
|Boulder||State of the Map U.S. 2017||19/10/2017-22/10/2017|
|Buenos Aires||FOSS4G+State of the Map Argentina 2017||23/10/2017-28/10/2017|
|Lima||State of the Map LatAm 2017||29/11/2017-02/12/2017|
Note: If you like to see your event here, please put it into the calendar. Only data which is there, will appear in weeklyOSM. Please check your event in our public calendar preview and correct it, where appropriate.
This weeklyOSM was produced by Nakaner, Peda, Polyglot, Rogehm, SeleneYang, SomeoneElse, Spec80, SrrReal, TheFive, YoViajo, derFred, jcoupey, jinalfoflia, keithonearth, widedangel.