- Lars-Erik Wessman would like to add a functionality to their taxi driver app, that would enable taxi drivers to provide missing house numbers along with GPS locations.
- Zverik created a web frontend for his revert scripts. It allows to revert a maximum of 200 objects. No way/relation membership changes are possible though. On the plus side, it does allow a 3-way merge instead of just restoring older versions, so you won’t run into any conflicts.
- The OSM wiki proposal for “extended Kneipp water cure” tagging has been approved.
- An analysis of tagging practices and patterns in urban areas in OpenStreetMap.
- Jonathan Schleuss asked on talk-us mailing list about what we should do after the Erskine Wildfires.
- Pergamino Municipality (near Buenos Aires, Argentina) contributes to OSM.
- In Switzerland, Geometa Lab have started a project observing the places in OpenStreetMap that people are looking at (by counting actual tile views). There’s also an article in the Geoawesomeness blog about it.
- Rafael Avila Coya wants to perform an import according to the rules of OSM. First he described the import details in the OSM-wiki, then he submitted his intention to the import mailing list asking for comments.
- The Madrid City Council released the data of drinking water fountains in the city. Santiago Crespo who manages the import data of Madrid in a wiki table, already created a page for these imports .
- Christian Ledermann proposed a semi-automatic import of school data from Ordnance Survey (UK).
- Maning Sambale reports about the work and the tools developed for building imports in Los Angeles.
- Paul Norman published the meeting minutes for the board meeting of June.
- Christoph published a detailed summary of the public OSMF board meeting.
- The OSMF will from now on be holding its board meetings on the 3rd Friday of each month at 6pm London time publicly on mumble.
- Thomas Skowron tweets “I think I solved the financing problem of the OpenStreetMap Foundation”. For those who haven’t seen it, there have recently been a series of display-once-per-browser conference advertisements in that space (SOTM, SOTM-US and FOSSGIS).
- The Schedule for State of the Map 2016 in Brussels (23.–25. September) is published. There was some criticism on Twitter (not merited according to us).
- The State of the Map Asia 2016 will take place in Manila, Philippines.
- Tyler Redford published a blog from HOT which focusses on the role and the efforts made by HOT to achieve the UN goals for their 2030 Agenda: Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in all states.
- HOT Summit (22nd of September 2016) early bird registration ends on July 9.
- User Lutz the maintainer of Historic.place implemented the Swiss Dofourkarte from 1865.Lutz also created two maps with special topics: “Bismarckturm map” (automatic translation) and a map of “Preußischer optischer Telegraf” (automatic translation)
- The Bismarckturm map for historical Bismarck towers used the tag
- The Preußischer optical Telegraf is now complete.
- The Bismarckturm map for historical Bismarck towers used the tag
- A howto for creating a 3D Map with QGIS and the QGIS2threejs plugin with little effort. Here an WebGL-3D-model from a German blog.
- Dan published on marginallyclever.com an “how to draw Open Street Maps with Makelangelo“.
- The Institute of Wines of Germany uses an interactive OSM Map to show the locations of all the vineyards growing regions.
- NOSOLOSIG explained the fastest way to view and download images from Landsat 8. (automatic translation)
- People are still suggesting that we change the ODbL!
- The Collective Database Guideline has been approved by the OSMF Board.
- Federico Mena Quintero has published Mapería. It is intended to “produce beautiful OSM maps for printing”. Mapería is available on github.
- MAPS.ME now includes navigation for bicycle riders (beta).
-  Polyglot published a blog article documenting how to use the new JOSM Plugin for Public Transport, that’s being built by Darya Golovko during this year’s Google Summer of Code.
- Disastermappers Heidelberg created a tool in Python to monitor data as it is added to the OSM database. This means mappers at mapathons get feedback on their efforts during the event, which is cool and very motivating.
|Maps.me Android||var||2016-06-27||Book hotels with booking.com, test bike navigation|
|Mapillary Android||2.31||2016-06-28||Some extensions and some bug fixes|
|Maps.me iOS||6.2.0||2016-06-28||Book hotels with booking.com, test bike navigation|
|Locus Map Free||3.18.2||2016-06-30||Bugfix release|
|OpenLayers||3.17.1||2016-07-04||Patch the recently published 3.17.0|
|Mapbox Android SDK||4.1.0||2016-06-29||Customizable marker views and new ways to customize the user location layer|
provided by the OSM Software Watchlist
Did you know …
- … OpenFietsMap? (Dutch OpenCycleMap with many instructions for mapping in English)
- … the video vector tiles from the site osm2vectortiles.org/?
Other “geo” things
- Colin Marshall presented some historic transit maps in “Open Culture”.
- The 3D Modeling Software Esri CityEngine 2016 now offers a simplified import of OSM data.
- Gabriele Gargantini (Ilpost.it) blogs (very extensively) compellingly about the small village of Esino Lario in Lecco Province, which hosted Wikimania the most important event of Wikipedia for a few days . (automatic translation)
- Google Earth and Maps get sharper satellite imagery with new update.
- Fernando Quadro reported in his blog about the fact that mappers work feverishly on OSM data in Rio de Janeiro in preparation for the Olympics. (automatic translation)
- The company Lichenecker presents a schematic map for the EM, that visualizes emotional tweets.
- mAppiaM! will take place from 09th to 11th July in Rome along the “Via Appia”. Three groups will map Roman monuments in OSM and collect geoinformation for Wikipedia. (automatic translation)
- Chris Hormann described the “new Google Landsat mosaic”.
|Roma||”’mAppiaM!”’ Mapping of Appia’s Monuments Appia Antica||09/07/2016-11/07/2016|
|Lyon||Rencontre mensuelle mappeurs||12/07/2016|
|Lyon||Missing Maps Lyon @Maison des associations||12/07/2016|
|Trentino||Presentation of a hiking map done using OpenStreetMap data, Storo||15/07/2016|
|Seattle||”’State of The Map US 2016”’||23/07/2016-25/07/2016|
Note: If you like to see your event here, please put it into the calendar. Only data which is there, will appear in weeklyOSM. Please check your event in our public calendar preview and correct it, where appropiate..
Long Term Dates
|Roma||”’mAppiaM!”’ Mapping of Appia’s Monuments Appia Antica||09.07.2016-11.07.2016|
|Seattle||State of The Map US 2016||23.07.2016-25.07.2016|
|Bonn||FOSS4G 2016 Code Sprint||20.08.2016-22.08.2016|
|Bonn||Workshops at FOSS4G 2016||22.08.2016-23.08.2016|
|Bonn||FOSS4G 2016 Code Sprint Part II||27.08.2016-28.08.2016|
|Brussels||State of the Map 2016||23.09.2016-26.09.2016|
|Metro Manila||State of the Map Asia 2016||01.10.2016-02.10.2016|
This weekly was produced by Laura Barroso, Nakaner, Peda, Polyglot, Rogehm, SomeoneElse, derFred, escada, jinalfoflia, malenki, seumas, wambacher.