- Chethan Gowda explains how to solve edit conflicts with JOSM.
- Aarthy Chandrasekhar explains how the two JOSM plugins that she wrote (The task configuration and the changesetID plugin) help her greatly in her daily work.
- User Keder publishes a very detailed Proposal (Education 2.0) to rework the tagging scheme for educational facilities.
- Christoph Hormann notes that ASTER imagery (known from DEM data) is _now_ (UPDATE) open to the public.
- User PT-53 complains on the German forum that a mapper from Mapbox has mistakingly deleted a newly constructed roundabout which is not visible on Bing imagery.
- Malcolm Herring again tries to define the tags
- Jerome wrote a proposal to extend the tagging of Kneipp facilities, and did start the RFC (request for comments).
- Tom Pfeifer points to his “mini vote” about adding new subvalues to the
- Oliver Ritter wrote in his blog post about Geopedia as an universal tool (automatic translation).
- FredM points to a job offer in Nepal, asking for OpenStreetMap knowledge.
- Bjørn Sandvik publishes his planning of a hiking trip in the Alps using OpenStreetMap data.
- Gregory Marler wrote a review of Steve Coast’s OSM book.
- James Masts asks on the Talk-us mailing list how to contact students and their instructor whose edits are damaging OSM data.
- The German project Wheelmap.org receives €825,000 from Google.org (via @GoogleDE)
- The call for proposals for State of the Map is up! You know your talk—so apply here.
- Registration to this year’s FOSS4G conference is open and early bird registeration is possible.
- The severe earthquake on the Ecuadorian Pacific coast with about 500 casualties is edited by many helpers from the OSM scene. Because of the considerable volume of messages we focus on some key points, and we are asking the community to help with the folders in the crisis region.
- Hot Tasks – please help and map
- Wiki Spanisch
- Wiki Englisch
- Video Daniel Orellana University of Cuenca in in Spanish, choose English subtitles
- Messages directly from the disaster area
- Q&A in Spanish (automatische Übersetzung)
- The communication of mapping actions runs in several channels in Telegram
The communication on Twitter via Hashtag #MappingEcuador.
The List of upcoming Mapathons will be updated in the wiki. The OSM Calendar will be updated as well.
- Map – Before and after – Manta in the province of Manabí
- How can I help? – remote – or in Ecuador and among others is Mapillary.
-  In order to provide emergency and rescue forces in Ecuador with routing data the GIScience Heidelberg team set up an OpenStreetMap disaster routing and crisis map collecting and visualizing latest OSM information.The OpenRouteService Disaster Map and the routing graph will be updated regularly.Most importantly, the additional OpenRouteService SOS – route profile currently considers passable and impassable tagged ways and dynamically adjusts the graph weights of OSM streets accordingly.ORS also provides an Accessibility Analysis Service for a given location, the possibility to export GPS tracks to be used offline on mobile device and the interactive Avoid Feature Area Tool (in case areas are severely effected by debris and not accessible at all). These features are thus potentially valuable for Search and Rescue (SAR) units.
- Escada reports about a large “missing map mapathon” in Belgium. It took place at the geography departments of seven universities and with about 190 participants, it produced a good press echo.
- John Whelan starts a discussion on the HOT mailing list about the rectangular building outlines, how to produce them and how often they are not squared.
- There is a MSF & Missing Maps Mapathon in Barcelona on 28 April 2016
- Martin Dittus shows in a video the impact of humanitarian mapping projects on OpenStreetMap community engagement.
- Andrew Hill created a map using the 2014 USA census to show how many women live (in percent of the total population).
- Meggsimum shows an interactive map of the German Wine Road and its villages in Palatinate (Germany).
- Argentina en Python publishes weekly generated maps for Garmin devices for Ecuador and Peru.
- Miranda Katz produced a map to show which countries’ diplomats have the most unpaid parking tickets in New York city.
- The email client Thunderbird now also uses OSM (starting with version 45.0).
- Like every year OSM will participate to the Google Summer of Code. Six students will have the opportunity to work on one of the proposed topics.
- MapJam launched developer API with Open Source maps targeting Google Maps and Mapbox customers.
- Nathanael Long released his bachelor thesis “pedestrian routing with OSM” (PDF) at the University of Applied Sciences in Stuttgart (supervised by Geofabrik). In it there is a routing graph charged synthetic pavements and road crossings, although these are not recognized as separate footpaths in OSM.
|OpenLayers||3.15.1||2016-04-07||Patch release that addresses a regression in the v3.15.0 release.|
provided by the OSM Software Watchlist
Did you know …
- … the PHP program to visualize difference between versions of OSM objects?
- … the earth quake map ogee with data from USGS?
- … Mapnificent, which shows for some pre-selected cities the area which you can reach with public transport in a given time. A video explains the details.
- … Florian Pigorschs Flopp’s map with some neat geographic functions, mostly to help geocachers.
- … this is a multilingual map of India, with more than 100 languages belonging to four different language families which are spoken in India. A multilingual map of the world will be a challenge for OpenStreetMap.
- … Pascal Neis’ site to search for specific changeset comments within the last 30 days?
Other “geo” things
- Ivo is a sports addict and has created a site showing the weather in the world in a bit different style.
- The Oxford Internet Institute shows some maps with different and quite interesting information, e.g. a map about Github users.
- The recently opened David Rumsey Map Center library at Stanford University, among others preserved 10,000 antiquarian maps. See this video for more information.
- Vexcel Holding GmbH in Graz (Austria) buys Microsoft’s ultracam department (the developer of a digital camera for aerial photography).
|Zürich||Missing Maps: Humanitarian Mapping||20/04/2016|
|Badalona||Mapes per ajudar a l’Equador||21/04/2016||Barcelona|
|Newcastle||FoMSF Missing Maps Mapathon||21/04/2016|
|Heidelberg||Ecuador Disaster Mapathon at Heidelberg University||21/04/2016|
|Colorado||GIS in Higher Ed. Humanitarian Mapathon Nighthawk Brewery, Broomfield||21/04/2016|
|Manila||”’OpenStreetMap for Beginners on FOSS4G-PH 2016”’||22/04/2016|
|Santiago||International Space Apps Challenge||22/04/2016-24/04/2016|
|Cochabamba||Charla OSM en Flisol||22/04/2016|
|Seattle||Missing Maps Mapathon||23/04/2016|
|Salta||Charla OSM en Flisol||23/04/2016|
|Curuzú Cuatiá||Charla OSM en Flisol||23/04/2016|
|Buenos Aires||Taller de mapeo OSM en Flisol||23/04/2016|
|Metro Manila||Mapping Party: UP Village Quezon City||30/04/2016|
|Liguria||Genova @ Zenzero, via Torti 20:30 with ALID||02/05/2016|
|Trentino||Ala @ library 20:30||02/05/2016|
|Manila Metro Manila||Mapping Party with #MapPHL, Quiapo||07/05/2016|
|Bogotá||Mapping party – Bogota: Usaquén||07/05/2016|
|Lyon||Rencontre mensuelle mappeurs||10/05/2016|
|Trentino||Besenello @ library 14:00. With support of Portobeseno and the Besenello Municipality||14/05/2016|
|Clermont-Ferrand||State of the Map France 2016||20/05/2016-22/05/2016|
|Milano||State of the Map Italy 2016||20/05/2016-22/05/2016|
|Brno||State of the Map CZ+SK 2016||21/05/2016|
|Seattle||State of The Map US 2016||23/07/2016-25/07/2016|
|Tokyo||State of The Map Japan 2016||06/08/2016|
|Bonn||”’FOSS4G 2016 Code Sprint”’||20/08/2016-22/08/2016|
|Bonn||”’Workshops at FOSS4G 2016”’||22/08/2016-23/08/2016|
|Bonn||”’FOSS4G 2016 Code Sprint Part II”’||27/08/2016-28/08/2016|
Note: If you like to see your event here, please put it into the calendar. Only data which is there, will appear in weeklyOSM. Please check your event in our public calendar preview and correct it, where appropiate..
This weekly was produced by Hakuch, Nakaner, Peda, Rogehm, Ziltoidium, derFred, escada, jinalfoflia, mgehling, seumas, widedangel.
s/is not open to the public/is now open to the public/
Hi Christoph – updated! 🙂
300, yay! also, what imagico said…
Hi, there is a missing link to Florian Pigorschs Flopp’s map
– sorry – thanks for the hint … http://www.flopp.net/?c=48.534181:12.151112#
… but user Marián Kyral is still active in OSMBC 😉