- Following a discussion on the forum (automatic translation) Leonhard Lenz suggests (automatic translation) unifying the tagging of (nature) reserves in Germany.
- Telenav’s OSM team released a portal for viewing a range of 22 different metrics on OSM. The ones available now focus on navigation attributes (e.g. turn restrictions). They are computed weekly for the whole world.
- Pokémon Go updated their map data and this brings along a new wave of mappers wildly adding parks, nature reserves, steppes, lakes and recreation areas to OSM. See the discussions in the German forum and on the Talk mailing list.
- Vote for the proposal on
man_made=carpet_hangeruntil May 10th.
- Ilya Zverev wrote a diary entry about some remarkable big changes to OSM data, which stood out during their monthly processing for the MAPS.ME application.
- sev_osm publishes a Twitter moment about two weeks of OSM and free Geomatics training in Dakar. Participation was aimed at students, teachers and professionals from both the private and public sectors. The courses were run with the help of members of the Senegal and West African OSM communities and with the support of the International Organization of Francophonie (OIF).
- Earlier this year the Data Working Group redacted a considerable quantity of data in Peru due to copyright infringement several years back. @karitotp describes in a diary post how the OSM community managed to recover speedily from the deletion of such an enormous amount of OSM data.
- Heather Leson wrote a diary entry with a brief introduction to the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) regarding the OSM Foundation.
- Antoine Riche and three friends will leave in 4 weeks with their bicycles for SotM-FR in Bordeaux. You can follow their progress on the map!
- On 3rd May, two classes from the Floirac school (France) will be on a digital visit to their twin town Diébougou (Burkina Faso). They will work together with the help of the tasking manager provided by Les Libres Géographes with their partners (Floirac town hall, Num&Lib and Terre & Océan) to improve the data in OSM.
- The AGIT Symposium for Applied Geoinformatics will take place from 4 to 6 July 2018 in Salzburg. OSGeo Foundation and FOSSGIS e. V. showcase joint projects.
- HOTOSM reports about their work with YouthMappers in Indonesia.
-  User SK53 describes in his blog how to generate 1D maps from OSM data. A common example of such maps are linear maps of public transport stops.
- Paul Norman explains his new client-side rendering style “Bolder”.
- The Opendata.ch/2018 conference will take place on July 3rd at the University of Applied Sciences of St. Gallen (Switzerland).
- Heidelberg GIScience provided the first working example of the forthcoming REST-based “Ohsome API” for easy-to-use full history analytics of OSM.
- Reddit user iggy-koppa has introduced three small geo packages for Rust on Reddit. One of them is a GTK widget to display OSM maps.
- Want to find a suitable flat with OSM? Here is how to do it in Python using the ORS API.
- The provision of changeset diffs had a stutter on April 26.
- Florian (@floscher) will be improving the Wikipedia/Wikidata plugin for JOSM for the Google Summer of Code 2018. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
- Wambacher’s “OSM Software Watchlist” now tweets the news from the OSM software world every week under the hashtag #OSMSoftwareWatchList.
- The iD editor reached version 2.8.1. Presets of less known tags are now available, like
... antenna, further examples are
- Klokan Technologies released OpenMapTiles 3.8.
OSM in the media
- Harry Wood spotted a mention of OpenStreetMap in the local newspaper and congratulates the Korean mappers.
Other “geo” things
- @MapScaping tweeted a picture of an unusual globe. It shows the geology of the Earth.
- Andy Woodruff created a tool that allows the export of contour lines for an area selected in the browser and saves them either as vector data (GeoJSON, SVG) or images. More details are provided on the Axismaps blog.
- “Wyndham City Council in Melbourne’s outer west is expanding an augmented reality urban planning tool to cover cities across Australia.” reports itnews.
- Hackernews contributor findus23 has used a Markov Chain model to simulate questions and answers for various Stack Exchange sites. Some of the simulated threads may seem familiar to users of GIS Stack Exchange.
- Nicolas Renoir reports at the Transport Research Arena 2018 in Vienna on how SNCF uses OpenStreetMap data to develop apps to help people with reduced mobility navigate railway stations.
|N’Djamena||Mapathon: Bol in Lake Chad||2018-05-05|
|Heidelberg||Semester Start Mapathon with Kathmandu Living Labs||2018-05-07|
|Arlon||Réunion au Pays d’Arlon||2018-05-08|
|deutscher Mumble-Server||öffentliche Vorstandssitzung FOSSGIS e.V.||2018-05-09|
|El Salvador||Encontro de Dados Abertos||2018-05-09|
|Berlin||119. Berlin-Brandenburg Stammtisch||2018-05-10|
|Shiki||東京！街歩き！マッピングパーティ：第19回 出張編 小江戸と浅草の中継点「志木」||2018-05-12|
|Davao City||Free & Open Mapping Workshop at Ateneo de Davao University||2018-05-12|
|Cologne Bonn Airport||Bonner Stammtisch||2018-05-15|
|Lyon||Rencontre mensuelle pour tous||2018-05-15|
|Disneyland Paris Marne/Chessy Railway Station||FOSS4G-fr 2018||2018-05-15-2018-05-17|
|São Paulo||Painel OpenStreetMap no MundoGEO Connect||2018-05-16|
|Mumble Creek||OpenStreetMap Foundation public board meeting||2018-05-17|
|Greater Manchester||OSM UK Annual General Meeting 2018||2018-05-19|
|Greater Manchester||OSM UK and OpenData Manchester joint meetup/workshops/mapping||2018-05-19|
|Bordeaux||State of the Map France 2018||2018-06-01-2018-06-03|
|Milan||State of the Map 2018 (international conference)||2018-07-28-2018-07-30|
|Dar es Salaam||FOSS4G & HOT Summit 2018||2018-08-29-2018-08-31|
|Bengaluru||State of the Map Asia 2018 (effective date to confirm)||2018-11-17-2018-11-18|
Note: If you like to see your event here, please put it into the calendar. Only data which is there, will appear in weeklyOSM. Please check your event in our public calendar preview and correct it, where appropriate.
This weeklyOSM was produced by Anne Ghisla, Nakaner, Polyglot, Rogehm, SK53, Spanholz, Spec80, YoViajo, derFred, jinalfoflia.